Growing Up

Sharing special moments in my life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Chandler, Arizona, United States

As I cast my fishing line into the neighbor's yard, I'm reminded of my sixth grade math teacher's observation - He's just as happy as if he had good sense.

Thursday, May 27, 2004

Sunday breakfast at the Hangar Cafe

November 30, 2003

I arrived at the Hangar Café late this morning, around 8:30 am, for my Sunday breakfast. Not too many vehicles were in the parking lot, so the food would be fast and the company would be older. The two-person table in the back was occupied and I wanted a table, but I realized the waitresses had a short week and needed tips more than I needed space.

The counter was good enough and the short-order cook served my food. From my college days, I remembered my early morning drunk etiquette and left him a healthy tip. When the cook serves you at the counter, he’s your waiter. I guess college was good for my socialization skills.

The northern Arizona sheep farmers began their winter moves to the Valley last month. Some of the flocks lambed last weekend. The smaller fields around Hamilton High School have the frisky creatures cavorting like kindergarteners at a birthday party. I guess wearing your own sweater helps on these brisk 50 degree mornings.

Four cotton farmers were having breakfast this morning at the Café. All were robust men in their late 60’s and early 70’s. They had a table behind me and spoke of this year’s crop and their grandkids. The cotton harvest had ended two weeks ago.

As I paid my bill, one of the men was prepaying for one of his friend’s coffee. The waitress knew the friend didn’t like anyone paying for his food. The man said, “I know that. That’s why I’m paying for his coffee.”

Good naturedly, she said, “I don’t want him coming after me, because you paid for it. Make sure he knows you did it.”

I mentioned to the man that it was nice of him to pay for his friend’s coffee considering the consequences. “You guys must be good friends.” He smiled and said, “Yep. He won’t like it, but I’m gonna do it.”

This morning –

The planes were flying at Chandler Municipal Airport.

The breakfasts at the Café were damn good.

And a friend’s appreciation for another’s help in bringing in a cotton crop was expressed by a cup of coffee.

Enjoy your day.

www.airnav.com/airport/KCHD
Bird's Eye View
Review of Hangar Cafe
What it looks like inside and out

---

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home