Growing Up

Sharing special moments in my life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Chandler, Arizona, United States

As I cast my fishing line into the neighbor's yard, I'm reminded of my sixth grade math teacher's observation - He's just as happy as if he had good sense.

Tuesday, April 26, 2005

My Upcoming Fishing Trip to Lees Ferry

--
In another coupla weeks, I'll be fishing for a few days at Lees Ferry, Arizona. It's a catch-and-release fishing area located on the Colorado River just below Glen Canyon Dam.

The area is well known by fly-fishing aficionados. The large rainbow trout and ample amount of fishing guides attract a high-end clientele looking for good fishing memories. I thought about using my fly-fishing stuff (10 o'clock, two o'clock, smooth flow, don't snap the line, doh!), but I'm gonna bring my open-face reel with a 2 lb line, sit in a Wal-Mart camp chair with an attachable sun umbrella (on sale) and pretend to care about catching fish. Ahh, life.

I'll be seeing a LOT of people in the mornings. The Grand Canyon starts a few miles downstream. People rafting or kayaking down the Colorado use Lees Ferry as their debarkation point. I'll try to fish around 'em. (grin). By 9:00 am, it'll be quiet except for the descending tone melody of the Canyon wrens.

I'll be staying at the Marble Canyon Lodge. There are two, count 'em, two, versions of the Lodge. Highway 89A, also known as the Highway of Death, divides the two. This is the $200.00 a night version. It has homey rooms or you can reserve a casita. All of it is surrounded by a small, preciously irrigated area of grass and a few trees. The Marble Canyon landing strip is a mere few hundred feet from its door. Ah, the comfort.

Across highway 89A is the other version of the Lodge. This is my $55.00 a night level of comfort. If I need to feel grass, I'll walk across the Highway of Death... or not. It looks pretty nice from this side of the road. You betcha.

A fellow named R. A. Taylor has a great site about the Lodge and the surrounding Vermillion Cliffs area. He's a pretty good photographer. Here's a series of his photos (one, two, three) of where I'll be fishing. Of course, I'll be fishing upstream by the boat ramp and camp ground. You think I can negotiate those rocks? Come on. Grin.

The lodge is located on the Arizona Strip. Strip is an appropriate description of the area, cuz there ain't nothing there. Even Mormon pioneers, who were a pretty strong stock, decided to settle elsewhere. To do it true justice, here are some satellite photos of the lodge and the surrounding area: Google Satellite photo and Terraserver aerial topo map.

Wish me luck.
---

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home