Growing Up

Sharing special moments in my life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Chandler, Arizona, United States

As I cast my fishing line into the neighbor's yard, I'm reminded of my sixth grade math teacher's observation - He's just as happy as if he had good sense.

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

The Difference Between Men And Women

---

I'm smiling as I write this. Women are far more advanced in discussing relationships than men could ever imagine. It's accepted (and expected) for a woman to share "things" about her relationship. I didn't understand what women really discussed until I took a few dance classes in college.

Before you go thinking things, I had five years of martial arts under my belt and was tired of learning how to kill people. Besides, being in a room full of women in leotards sounded "fun". I took a lotta razzing from my dojo brothers, but it was worth it. Anyway, I dated a few women in those classes and the sisterhood allowed me to listen in on the dirt.

Every day before class, the ladies reviewed their boyfriends, classmates (even some of my buddies!), hunks, hubbies, husband material, toys, maneuvers, kissing, romance, break-ups, cads, the allure of bad boys and other stuff. It was too much information and all of it was true. I just wanted to melt into the wooden floor whenever they looked in my direction, but they never reviewed me. They didn't have to. I did that myself. I cringed at some of the stories. Yeah, that's me to a "T".

I changed my ways and the group recognized my improved "dating" behavior. I was no longer a male buffoon, but a man sharing time with women in their environment.

I listened to them share their every day lives and their true relationships. I never knew women thought and felt that way. Every day was new to me. They were so different from men, yet they helped me become a better man. They taught me that listening is the best answer to a question, a kiss is a kiss is a kiss, a hug is sometimes better than talking and a good cry solves just about everything.

I recently started dating a very nice lady. I'm not mentioning names, but Hi, Cathy! *grin* Since Cathy is becoming more important in my life, I'm starting to talk about her with certain co-workers. The reaction from two co-workers brought to mind those noble ladies of the boards and their effect on my life.

Both co-workers are middle-aged and married. I'm middle-aged and divorced. (Thought I'd help you out there.) The guy reacted in typical guy fashion or what I would've done before the noble ladies. The woman reacted as I would've reacted. Yeah, education of the heart is hell, isn't it?


My statement: I smile and say, "I'm dating a nice lady".

Male reaction. "You deserve someone nice". Click. (Jeez, I thought I had the remote control.)


Once again, my statement with same intonation: I smile and say, "I'm dating a nice lady".

Female reaction. She searches my face for emotion and finds what she's looking for.


With a smile, she gets closer, "And?"

---

1 Comments:

Blogger agi said...

you nicely said the difference. I too smiling when I was reading :-)

March 29, 2006 4:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home